Tuesday, November 6, 2007

8 - First lady of Bass, Carol Kaye

Speaking of Bass Players, one of my Favorite Bass Players of all time is about to have a little documentary made about her.


Mrs. Carol Kaye who's recorded Bass and Guitar probably more than any other woman ever.

You know her bass lines, but you probably don't know about her.

Good Vibrations, Hawaii 5-o, Mission Impossible, Doors - Light my Fire, *Stevie Wonder's I was made to love her.

She even did the guitar for Ritchie Valens - La Bamba. Impressed yet?

Here's an excerpt from the documentary FIRST LADY OF BASS.

And for anyone still too dumb to recognize the power in this lady's hands. Listen to this.



This song has a long story behind it, but it's basically Axelrods favorite lineup taking the place of the Electric Prunes. Which includes:

Carol Kaye - Bass
Earl Palmer - Drums
Axelrod - Conducting/arranging
Howard Roberts - Guitar
Don Randi - Keys
and others..

I think I've stated enough of my case, for this unappreciated virtuoso.

*There is still arguments on whether this is Carol or the also much under appreciated James Jamerson of the Funk Brothers. I know both players catalogs quite well, and by ear I'm hearing Carol Kaye.

What do you think?






ps. I'll get to the Genius of Howard Roberts later.

1 comment:

LaMarsha said...

This DOC looks hype. Let me know when you find out more info on it (dates, availability, etc..). Great job on the Blog Site. Looks good.