Thursday, November 8, 2007

13 - Blind guitarists

People often tend to think of the handicapped or cripple as less than equal to them. However, Music is an art form where some of the great masters have had great problems. Beethoven suffered a severe form of tinnitus causing him to be for the most part deaf. Django Reinhardt was severly burned and 2 of his fingers on the left hand were permanently curled towards the palm. Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder proved through there blindness there abilities to create amazing songs. Rahsaan Roland Kirk is probably one of the most talented blind multi-instrumentalists.

What is it that allows these musicians to not only overcome there problems, but to rise above most other musicians?

Wikipedia has a very interesting article on this subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_musicians

I want to touch on a few specific guitarists who have inspired myself and many others.

Such as JOSE FELICIANO, Puerto Rican born musician who was blind since birth. His family moved to Spanish Harlem when he was five, and at 9 he taught himself how to play Merengue on the Concertina.

"I would've been a musician, I think whether I'm blind or I can see. It's just something that was my destiny to do. " - Jose Feliciano

After being influenced by his uncle he later took up the 4 string guitar-like instrument called, "The Cuatro." Which led him to play the Guitar. He listened and emulated rock and jazz guitarists such as Elvis, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Byrd and Andres Segovia. He later studied classical guitar, started his own ensemble, traveled as a folk artist, and eventually became a household name in Latin America and The United States. He's one of the first artists to have a Spanish and English albums on the charts at the same time. He's world renowned and is one of the biggest selling latin artists of all time.



"How do you feel about the fact that you are a hero to many blind people?

Feliciano: I do what I can. It's not my main goal in life in that sense, but I do encourage people who are blind. And if my music encourages them to be independent and do things, I'm happy about that." - an except from here


The Blues is a genre that is not too far removed from it's roots of slave hymnals, and spirituals. This healing music has the most mentionable Blind artists. Such as: Blind Lemon Jeffereson, Doc Watson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Blake, Blind Willie McTell. The musician is a good role for the busking blind, and the south had many poor folk who fully embraced the blues. Not only have they inspired whomever was able to see them, but they have been influential for guitarists all over.

"Most people take their hearing for granted. I can't. My eyes are my handicap, but my ears are my opportunity. My ears show me what my eyes can't. My ears tell me 99 percent of what I need to know about my world." - Ray Charles



I recently had this upcoming guitarist brought to my attention by my mother. She told me, that he sang in the style of Eric Benet with the soul of Donnie Hathaway. I'm partial to him, because he also shares my nationality. Born in New Mexico half Argentinean and half African American, Raul Midon, and his twin brother Marco were blinded as infants. Not only has he done backup work singing for Julio Iglesias, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin, even Jose Feliciano. He eventually Pursued a solo career as a Jazz improvisationist, singer, and guitarist. If you've never heard of him. You should take a minute and check him out.



Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn't mean he lacks vision. - Stevie Wonder

No comments: